Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SITE IS ACTING UP!

The site seems to be acting up! So until I can post this on the page it should be organized to, please enjoy the below!

OUR SECOND ASSET LADY, STEPHANIE SINCK!

First, I would like to take the time to apologize that this feature is late. Second, I would like to thank Steph so much for taking the time to fill out our survey!

        Steph Sinck an amazingly bright, driven and devoted women is a graduate of Ramapo College from Spring 2012. To easily describe her she loves children and has a love for teaching and coaching swimming. While at Ramapo, Steph was involved in InterVarsity Fellowship holding a position on the student e-board for a year. She was also on the College swim team for four years and help the title and duties of a captain for two years. She also had an amazing opportunity volunteer time to spend in La Cuchilla, Dominican Republic to live with a family and learn the culture during the experience “Bridges to the Dominican Republic.” Now that Steph has graduated and is in the “Real World” she knows she wants to further her education.
Right now, Steph is currently completing student teaching and looking for a High School/Middle School science position. During this time, she has also been coaching for a local swim team and plans do continue once she starts teaching. SO! All while teaching and coaching, Steph has another goal. In Spring 2013 she plans to begin the application process to Grad schools to receive a masters in Science Education or Environmental Science.
        One part of Steph’s responses that really stood out to me was the quote she lives be. This is a quote all should preach and live by because after all the truth is exactly in the words she says –
I would say the quote that I live by or always say is “Life’s too short.”  I’ve been trying to remember this more than ever and how life really is too short to hold grudges or regret decisions I’ve made.  I always try to remember that somewhere, someone has it much worse than me and I need to be thankful for what I have in this moment.  I feel blessed to have the life I do and that I constantly need to remind myself that life is short and it isn’t worth it to be down on myself or sweat the small things. 
A part I love about Steph’s charismatic ways is that she knows who she is and what she wants. She doesn’t play the whole well whatever happens, happens and I’ll see what I can do or if I can get there. The girl sets a goal and digs in with open eyes and arms to do the best she can. And let me tell you, this girl always succeeds. So what exactly is Steph’s story that makes her this way then, right?
Even as a child I always loved science, being outdoors, and helping my fellow students learn and understand material in school.  I was always extremely active with swimming and being involved in different sports.  So, from a young age I knew teaching or doing a profession with science was always at the top of my list.
After my freshman year of college, I traveled to the Dominican Republic to live for two weeks in the mountains with a very poor family.  While there I discovered even more my passion for teaching and helping others.  For me, that trip helped confirm that teaching was something that I would definitely want to try out and pursue.  That summer was also my first summer coaching at a local swim club and realized too that coaching was a strong passion of mine.  Overall, that first summer really shaped the rest of my college experience and helped me prioritize what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
        This past year I have begun coaching the top swimmers in the state at the club I started off swimming at.  It has further solidified my love of coaching and involvement in swimming.  I have also just about finished up my student teaching where I have discovered how much I enjoy middle school aged children and helping them learn to love science as much as I do.  So between my freshman year of college and the year following graduation, I have in a way, come full circle to realize that what once started as dreams are slowly becoming reality for me.
A large part of life people should pay a lot of attention to is goal setting. Setting goals means that you want something and you are going to go after it. If you want to achieve, you will find ways to stay on task such as a progress report from yourself, like reflecting back every so often to see where you’re at and even feedback from others to see their opinions. One thing I love to ask Asset Ladies is to tell me where they see themselves in a year, 5 years and 10. Obviously Asset ladies know this or at least have given it some thought. What I loved about Steph’s was that she was realistic and really had a wide variety in what her plans are. She didn’t just talk about a career or education, she talked about it all!
In a year, I hope to have a job teaching science in a middle school.  I will probably still be living at home, saving to eventually move out on my own.
In five years, I would see myself still teaching science and coaching.  I would hope to be married by this point of my life and own my own home.  Also in five years, I would see myself having completed a master’s degree of some sort. 
In ten years, I would see myself possibly starting a family and still teaching.  By this point, I may have or at least looked into completing another master’s degree, or a doctorate degree to possibly teach at a college or university.
Another important question I ask of the ladies is for them to provide me with advice, advice for what they want you to know. After all, this blog is here for you all to read, learn and act. Always hearing advice from others gives you different perspective and different ideas. It allows you the creativity and ability to be perspective to everyone’s ideas. I love Steph’s advice because it is something that I feel too. Steph and I see eye to eye on many things life and I am grateful to know I am surrounded by such good friends! Here’s what Steph had to say –
I would tell other young women going into the “real world” to first and foremost do what you love.  It sounds so cliché, but I really think that’s the key to being successful and most important happy.  If you can wake up being happy and excited to go to work that day, it’ll make your life so much more enjoyable.  Not only will it benefit you, but your fellow employees and the people you interact with on a daily basis. 
I would also say time management is key when entering college especially and when entering the “real world.”  If you can keep yourself organized and manage your time, it opens your doors to do so much with your day and more importantly your life. 

I thank you all and I thank Steph Sinck as well. I hope through these features its sparking ideas and making you all think “hm”. After all, some of the best moments are the “a-ha!” moments. Please continue reading and continue succeeding. We’re the future here of business, America and the World. If we’re not going to get things done, then who will? ;)

Please feel free to contact Steph by phone at 908-930-5856.

No comments:

Post a Comment